Monday, September 14, 2009

Cakes, Fingernails, and Clothes

September 5th was my mother in laws birthday, and since Chelsey was cooking the birthday dinner, we were in charge of bringing the birthday cake. When Dan came home from work I asked him what kind of cake he wanted to do for his mom. A round cake? Square? White, Yellow, or Chocolate cake? Or maybe an ice cream cake? So he gets on the computer and finds beautifully decorated cake that uses fondant and because we've watched Ace of Cakes a few times, Dan thinks WE CAN DO THIS. So we went to the store Friday night and bought all kinds of stuff to make this cake and it came out pretty darn close to the picture we were copying. Not bad for our first time. It was pretty fun to do together, for date night, and four hours later, our cake was finished!





We used three cake mixes and 2 lbs of powdered sugar for this baby. It didn't look extremely big, but six adults only ate the top layer of the cake. We ended up taking the bottom part to our neighbor with six kids cause we had already eaten way too much!


Happy Birthday Louise
Yesterday, only a week later, we had an excuse to try a second cake (The cake part was made from scratch this time cause it was Sunday and we didn't have any cake mix. I don't know about you, but I think store bought cake mix taste much better). My friend Robyn is having a birthday this month and I knew I wasn't going to make it to the lunch that was in her honor. The YW leaders all go out for lunch for everyone's birthday, but I thought I'd give her a cake instead.
Whoa, I almost made her the same style cake as my mother in law's, but then I realized that would be way to much cake for just Robyn, her husband, and her two little babes. So this one was just one cake batch, and since I cooked and assembled this one all by myself (I'll never do that again), six hours later, the cake was finished. Dan did help me with frosting the back of the decorations so we could go to bed. It was for my friend, and of course I wanted it my way, but next time I'll let him help, because really my favorite part is decorating it.


Second try, not bad.

A little while ago, we painted Macy's fingernails! Sooooo cute, but she wasn't excited about it like I was. She just chewed it all off in a few days.


And then we both painted our toenails the same. Girl time is so fun.

This is Trey's new church outfit. Real dress pants, shirt and clip on tie. So handsome!




11 comments:

Steph said...

Your cakes look amazing!! I don't think I could ever do that...Your new house looks really nice to. The yard looks great, and you will love the garage. The best part of a garage is not having to battle the weather while loading the kids. Definetly a plus since you have 3!!

Tiffanie and John said...

Those cakes look awesome! Way to go.

Shayla said...

Nice job on the cakes!!! I don't think I have the patience to decorate cakes like that- so way to go!!

Chelsey Hymas said...

Yummm...the cake was soo good! The second one looks great! I love Trey's new church outfit! And of course the painted fingernails! I can't wait to have a girl someday!

Robyn said...

I loved my cake! I hope you know how special you made me feel! You definately have a talent with cake decorating! It was so stinkin cute! It tasted really good too! We just had some for dessert! Thanks for being such a sweet friend!

Kimberly Cone said...

That pink cake is pretty. Look at you being all creative.

The Olligschlager Family said...

Look at you! You are so great! Having a girl must be so fun with all that girly stuff. Trey looks so big. That picture of him is so cute too. He looks so proud!

Kimberly Cone said...

Hey Rachelle, do you have kacey's email? I think I found her blog but you have to be invited to check it out and I would like to contact her.

Hannah said...

Wow, Rachelle! Great job on the cakes!!! Yeah, decorating cakes is no easy task. But they sure do look great when you're done! Nice job.

lisa h. said...

those cakes rock! but wow, 4 and 6 hours...I don't think I have the patience. maybe next time we'll have a cake contest instead of cheesecake.

RPH said...

Way to go on the cakes. They look so great. And how fun to do it with Dan! (i love that watching Ace of Cakes empowers you to try your own!!)

Cute little pink fingers and toes too.